And so it begins…..the merry, crazy, chaotic, overscheduled month of December. Thanksgiving and Christmas are positively my favorite holidays of the year. Thanksgiving because the focus is on family, food, friends and taking a few seconds to appreciate how much we have to be grateful for. And blessed we are.
(Ok, this picture is actually from last year because I took NO food pictures this year, possibly because I was truly enjoying the moment, however, the bounty was similarly traditional and full!)
Hubby was truly thankful to be enjoying non-institutional food with his favorite people on the planet (US!!). My grandparents joined us last-minute due to car trouble while driving to SC to see my aunt and cousins. I know she was sad to have missed the trip, but it all worked out and we had a great dinner. and somehow there just weren’t as many leftovers as I had thought….and it was all worth it!!
The remainder of the month will be filled with:
- the town Christmas parade: 2 of 4 children participating
- school programs: band concert x 2
- shopping: any time I can fit it in…lunch time is UBER productive during December!
- church programs: 2 of 4 children participating
- cookie exchange: an annual event by my old roommate, her mother in law and sisters in law and the focus is on fellowship, food, exchanging AMAZING cookies and Jesus. Yes, I said His name, Jesus. This IS Christmas people, notice the “Christ” at the beginning of the word? The entire season is because it is a celebration of Jesus’ birth!!! (had to clear that out….political correctness has no place here..) It is a fabulous time!!
- “Happy birthday, Jesus” party with my grandparents, an annual event which we ALL look forward to!
- tree decorating, holiday baking
- dinner with our Priest at our house
- Walk through Bethlehem with one of the local churches
HidingFinding our “Elf”, Friefel
- West side story high school production (date with hubby)
- Sending and receiving Christmas cards (of which we are ALL in this year!!)
- Nutcracker with the girls. It will be the first time for ALL of us and a total surprise for them.
- finish up with regular school, work, flag football and softball and it’s a crazy month. And I bet YOUR month looks JUST the same!!
(these delicious Peanut butter Buckeye balls are the favorite of our family for holiday baking!)
Don’t forget, the Reason for the Season. Christmas is a day to celebrate the birth of Jesus and the days leading up to that, Advent. The waiting on the Lord. The anticipation. Enjoy every moment. Every morsel. May your Advent season and Christmas be as joyous and filled with thanks as ours!!!