It’s Friday, so that means it must be: 7 Quick Takes with Jennifer Fulwiler et al. Join on in, it’s a super crowd!!
1) I don’t want to get anyone all crazy or anything but Advent is just around the corner, December 2, 2012…the first day. You ready?? Huh?? Huh?? Huh?? Me?? Uhhhhhh. Sorta. Our family does a little thing each Advent, for every day, this will be our 3rd year. I have procured the items we will need over the past many months. It’s something a good friend of mine started us on our first year in where we randomly and anonymously “gift” someone throughout Advent. It’s not anything big, just something small to hopefully brighten their day and spread some CHRISTmas joy. Yes, the cards even say “Merry Christmas”…..scandalous in this P.C. day and age, right??
2) Now I’ve just spent 2 hours trying to decide which site to use for our Christmas card with the right pictures and coupon code and the site freaked out and I had to start over. Grrrr.. Bedtime!!
3) We’ve had soccer and cheer all week, staggered so it’s been very DRAWN OUT! At least I’m getting my walks in!! However, joy of joys….it is the LAST week of both girl’s sports. Our last soccer game is tomorrow and it’s at HOME, and cheer finishes up with competition on Black Friday (can you believe the nerve?!?!?)
4) This week gave me a little reminder of how busy the holiday season is going to be and my girlfriend and I are going to start a little holiday health challenge/focus to get us through the New Year. It’s such an insane time of year with parties, plays, gift giving, meals, time off from school, juggling family visits etc, that, as a woman (and I’m sure a few men, too) we tend to get so caught up in taking care of others and focusing on activities that we OFTEN forget to take care of ourselves. Therefore, we are planning on being accountable for regular exercise (nothing crazy…just staying active) and watching what we put in our mouths. We need to remind ourselves our body is The Temple of Christ and I think we all forget that from time to time. Isn’t Advent a “good” time to focus on that? Anyone can join in…if there’s a big interest I’ll make up something “official-like”, for now it’s just email and texting and friends at work accountability, too!
5) Speaking of Advent…(apparently there’s a little bit of a theme this week since I continue to return to Advent), My blog is almost at 100 followers! So, I’ve decided that I’m going to do a giveaway of Dan Lord’s new book, “Choosing Joy: The secret to living a fully Christian life”. If you didn’t know, Dan is married to Hallie Lord, author of “Style, sex and substance” and blogger on marriage and style over at Moxie Wife. I’ll post a blog on the official giveaway and all that jazz once I hit 100 followers!
6) On style….for the past two Sundays I’ve participated in “What I wore Sunday” over at Fine Linen and Purple. It’s been super fun (awesome for visitors to my blog!!!!) and inspirational on paying a little more attention to dressing for Mass and other times when I’m out of my scrubs and workout clothes (95% of my time!). As timing would have it, Dwija at House Unseen posted about taking care of appearance in general and the subtle messages it sends to our families and loved ones when we do or don’t pay attention to how we look. It definitely made me think about taking a few extra minutes on regular days, too.
7) Last one, also in reference to style….last night I bought some boots. Target. My boot envy got the best of me, especially since I currently don’t have any boots and will need them on our surprise trip in January to Pennsylvania! So exciting. The only thing about boots is that my calves are muscular and sometimes it’s really difficult to find a pair of boots to zip up past my calves. Frustrating I tell you!!
Alrighty then….I’m out. Time to wake the kiddies and get this day rockin’ on into the weekend! Blessings and don’t forget to check out Conversion Diary for other great peeps!!
I always buy two types of cards. One that says Merry Christmas for the majority of my friends/family. I do have a few friends who are of different faiths, and I make sure to send them a ‘Happy Holiday’ card. They would never complain about receiving a Christmas card; I don’t like to associate with people who are easily offended. They all are just thankful for the reminder that I care, but I like to take that extra step to be respectful of their religion. They’re always respectful of mine. This had nothing to do with your post really.
I have the same issue with boots. It’s awful. There’s a plus size store in my mall, Torrid, who has boots with extra room in the legs. They’re more expensive, but I guess it’s the trade off for having boots to fit.
Great idea, but we have about 140ish cards we send out and long ago I decided to make that big job easier by being uniform. I also have friends of different faiths and we all respect each other…I love their Hannukah cards and they enjoy seeing ours…it’s win, win.
140?!?! I thought my list of 50ish was bad!!! I wouldn’t want to sort through that list and worry about who gets what card, either 😉
I hate how everyone is so easily offended these days. The point of ‘Christmas Cards’ is to spread joy and let others know we’re thinking about them/care about them. If someone can’t look past the holiday listed on the front, then they don’t deserve to be getting one from me/you/whomever anyway 😉
hahahah, crazy right? my friend has over 300!!! She is a fabulous “hobby photographer” (though she should be more, IMO!)…and does about 10 shoots for $$$ to cover the cost of her cards.
Ditto on the overkill of PC. Double ditto!!
Ha! I’m laughing WITH you because the same darned thing happened to me re: Christmas cards. Such is life, eh? And re: boots, I have two pair that stretch, no zippers. Fit like butt-ah! Might be a solution?
I will be on the lookout for stretch boots for my BROWN ones…the black ones I have are good…good thing I have no aspirations to be a Dominatrix…the high boot thing would be a real obstacle!