The weather is amazing…have you heard? We don’t have the lovely leaves here in the Sunshine state that y’all have a little further north, however…..we’ve got the beach and the sea breeze and shorts in October. And November. And sometimes December. If you’re our cold desensitized son, January and February are game, too. Tonight, we embraced that weather and the girls and I hit the bridge. (Dad was swimming laps and the boys were doing their own thang, including starting dinner!). It was awesome. Killed thirty minutes before dinner and burned a few cals. Perhaps even set a “healthy example” for our girls. Made it with a minimum of bickering and they finally got to spit….not from the top of the bridge…only the edge of the dock…they were happy with that. For now….
Friday, Friday and the kids have no school and yet…..yes, that’s right…..Mama and Papa have work. Stinkers. Whatev….Either way, I am wrapping up my week with a few lessons (in Quick Take, Conversion Diary form) learned from this week.
Lesson 1. Home with the youngest on Monday and I learned that I could do without HALF of my closet. I mean really, how MANY pair of khaki capris and shorts does one need? Between donating 5 bags (Publix size, not garbage!) to our church’s thrift store and then reorganizing by color, I feel refreshed, uncluttered and actually inspired to be a little more “fashionable”. I’ll do it again once it’s cool enough to bring the winter-ish clothes down. True fact.
Lesson 2. There is a need to revamp my social media. Apparently. Now I know why people are always face down in their phones. They are updating tweets, RTs, MTs, statuses, blog reading, photo sharing, liking, commenting. You HAVE to be face down 24/7 to keep up. Farm out the laundry, dinner, kid care, schooling, house chores, work for $$ job, because you cain’t do none of that if you’re doing the other. Serious. As for me, I joined Twitter to be more abreast on the world. Facebook to KIT with fam and friends. Pinterest…..ah, I’m not sure on that one but I’ve gotten lost on there a few times and have really added to Hubby’s “to-do” list. Instagram b/c I love photos, taking and looking. However, the sad fact is that I don’t get paid to be social 24/7, so I am going to just chill. Check in when necessary, disregard the numbers and try to relax on the house projects. ‘Cuz it’s crazy yo!!! True fact.
Lesson 3. Walking near dusk with a gator in the lake, the podcast must be turned down, eyes must be watchful, legs must be ready to run and camera must be ready to shoot. Sadly I missed the basketball versus gator wrestling match, I heard it was a doozy. True fact.
Lesson 4. If perhaps you are with a middle schooler for after school pick up and you see a fight going on with the amoeba crowd closing in and would by chance, I don’t know, lay on the horn like a crazy lady a few things would happen: a) the amoeba crowd would scatter like ants and, b) the middle schooler in your vehicle would become like melted butter and sink to the floor of the vehicle. Then, if you were to call the Rec center to report the fight and the coppers came and some kids almost got arrested, YOUR middle schooler would be the scapegoat the next day. However, if you use The Jedi Mind Trick and remind him that cell phones are pretty popular and ANYONE could have called as well as blaming the honking on a mother– reminding him to remind his friends that their parents are embarrassing sometimes, too….suddenly the scapegoat is freed and the mob are again little kittens eating out of his hands. And he wouldn’t be mad at his mother anymore either. Hypothetically true fact. Of course.
Lesson 5. If you call your friend to chat and her 2 toddlers answer taking turns regaling you of tales of nausea and vomiting and “Mama in the shower”…she probably isn’t going to get that message. True fact.
Lesson 6. If one is tempted off their healthy eating focus by a son’s birthday it most definitely is a force to be reckoned with to get back on track. 4 1/2 days later I think I broke the spell with a 40 minute power walk, abs and arms workout followed by a healthy dinner! The fact is, “we can start our day over at any time….even if it’s 5:30 p.m.” True fact.
Lesson 7. Open house at the girls elementary school was eye-opening as our district introduces “standard based grading” and implementing all steps at the same time. And…..it’s not fully ready yet. All I can say is, holy crap. These teachers are getting the shaft. The tediousness in grading in this manner is ridic beyond words. Not to mention I am going to need a ruler, reading glasses and a freakin’ LEGEND to interpret the grades when this thing is finally up and running. I am seriously drafting a letter (sans text lingo and cussing) to the school board, because apparently someone with way too much alphabet soup behind their name decided a nice complicated system would make them look like they are earning their grotesque salaries! Well, guess what…I have alphabet soup, too….(BS)(RT)(R)(CT). This IS putting a teacher’s day far beyond the 8 hours required for their job and I honestly believe… 3 months off for summer isn’t enough. True fact.
That’s all folks. Hope you learned a thing or two from my own experiences. Have a great weekend! Be sure to check in with the MANY awesome peeps @Conversion Diary with Jen (Reality star). There’s a bunch so a beverage and snack come in handy when reading through…it’s a great Saturday morning distraction for me 🙂
Joining in with the usual suspects @Conversion Diary for a wild weekly wrap-up. You never know what you’re going to get, there’s some great stuff in those who join in, from theological discussions to Pinterest, to Youtube silliness, funny kid stories and so on….check ’em out!
This will be quick because I need to get the girls and I out the door in the next hour…I’m an envelope pusher like that.
1. It’s been a good week in the exercise category, what with switching it up and all. I’m back to the a.m. workout cycle AND mixing in some afternoon lunch cardio as well. It worked THIS week.
2. As an added motivator in my switching things up, I’ve been positively obsessed with success stories and Socially Fit has their usual every Friday, as well as Peak313 on Wednesdays, so if you need a little boost they are a good place to start!
3. Also from Peak313, I stole this and put it on my Facebook….
4. I also snuck in some veggies to our pseudo Thanksgiving-in-July dinner the other night with Cauliflower Mashed potatoes. It’s the little changes. The kids loved it AND it was a bonus veggie. Win-win all around. well, except for the extra gas….
5. We have passed the 1/2 way mark of Summer. Can I get a Hallelujah?? We have 5 full weeks of summer left. If you shop at Wal-mart or Target you might think it’s next week….since they have all the school supplies displayed in plenty. I just can’t even go there mentally yet. I still have some beach time to get in and some non-rushed mornings and homework-free afternoons left!! But…..I do miss the routine (hence the need for a Hallelujah). It’s a double-edged sword…
6. Anyone who is using NFP and Marquette, we are finally online charting with an interactive model. You can find it here and the staff is very helpful if you have any questions. You can find it HERE. Just takes a few minutes to register and you are good to go.
7. A few months ago my neighbor made a reference to his “Outlaw” neighbors as a young guy on his Harley rode by. He has a dry little sense of humor and I thought he was joking….the subject of their Very. Loud. Bikes. had come up a few times. Since they kept rather late hours and early mornings, sleeping with the windows open was a bummer with these guys. Anyhooo…. This morning I was walking and they were leaving (later than usual) and lo and behold….HOLY COW, they really ARE Outlaws. Wearing their colors and all. wow. To be fair, aside from their noisy cycles they haven’t bothered us, nor do I expect them to. It’s just that you don’t expect to see infamous motorcycle gang dudes riding out of your sleep little ‘hood in the a.m. On that note….
I’m out. It’s time to make lunches and get rockin’ and rollin’…..Y’all have a good weekend ya hear?!