With my whole social network fasting apparently I have more time to blog…who knew??? So, I’m jumping back in with the tried and true at Conversion Diary with Jen and her peeps…of course, I’m not #1 like Grace, but she’s a new mom again and clearly not sleeping anyway…so go check ’em all out…
1. Fresh into Lent, folks…Fresh. Into. Lent. You know what that means, right? All those sacrifices and desires to help more, pray more, do more, etc are FRESH and “technically” two days in we should be going strong. Ammiright?? Riiiiight, so remember…no meat today. And if perhaps, halfway through that double with cheese you remember “ACK…it’s Friday!!!”, just start over. We are imperfect people, God knows this. His joy is in our TRYING to do better. And when we screw up, dust ourselves off and try again….that’s what we can choose to do. So, in the classic words of Dori from Finding Nemo…”just keep swimming”!
2. What did you give up for Lent? Perhaps you are instead focusing on praying and have some plans of monastic retreat or super fasting to add some oomph to your prayer life, or maybe working in the soup kitchen or homeless shelter….what’s the plan, Stan? I gave up Facebook and Twitter. It’s quite freeing and I actually look forward to this each Lent. Now, you might say, but “Tracy, your blog shows up on Twitter?” Yes, it’s set that way automatic, but I am not CHECKING said Twitter account.
3. Did you get your ashes? We did. I must say it was practically WW3 getting there. A serious force of crazy, crappy, grumpy, tempers came over our household IMMEDIATELY prior to leaving. We persevered anyway and let me say, people….GOD prevailed. Oh yes he did defuse that 13 yo, 15 yo and 2 young ladies who readied themselves in their Mass finery only to see EVERY to the ONE was in their regular clothes (including yours truly, fresh off the JOB train in her scrubs). Hubs took everyone home after the distribution of ashes and I stayed to wait for our 7th grader to take him home after his RE class. We came home to fish and chips awaiting. (AKA, fish sticks and fries) God is good. All the time. All the time. God is good.
4. Ash Wednesday I also went to Adoration (a weekly Lenten practice for me this year). Unknowingly, I arrived during the church’s Mass celebration, therefore the Eucharist was not in the chapel, but in the church. ENNYWAY….I still prayed the Rosary and intentions and fully enjoyed my quiet time. If you have noise in your life (you don’t need to be a parent for this) you should take time to go to Adoration…shoot, even if you’re not Catholic….just go…it is AWESOME. Peace, quiet. Total gift. I’d live there if I could. Really. Logistically though, just not going to work.
5. Saved me some cash this week. Went in to quit the gym, just not feeling it, and I’ve been working out at home (not this week so much…but mostly-ish) but they love me so much they comped me 2 months and lowered my monthly rate to $5. Sheesh, alright. I’ll come back. $5, c’mon. Who CAN say no to that???
6. Along with my social fasting, weekly Adoration visit and prayer intentions….I am also trying to focus on some spiritual reading. This week I finished C.S. Lewis’ “Screwtape Letters”…wow. wow. wow. If you haven’t read it….do it. Next up…”Visions of the Children” by Janice Connell. And continued reading of Saint Faustina’s Diary (although that is taking YEARS. Literally. YEARS!! tremendously rich reading. small bites only)
7. Finally, if you read yesterday’s post on our little Romeo and his Valentine’s flower promise…I’ll tell you how it went: He made his first deposit to his math teacher (who, although killing him, has been incredibly helpful and challenging) and from then on out had “hordes” of ladies following him around for roses. He had them labeled and did have a couple extra (to which I was also a recipient….smart boy!)…but he admitted at dinner that it was an impossible task to please all the ladies on Valentine’s Day. Not to mention expensive. He’s a mess that one. A sweet mess. **For all you Bachelor fans out there….I asked him if he was prepping to do a teen Bachelor and he was unaware of the show/concept etc….PHew. I don’t watch either, but have the gist of it from some of you…who will remain nameless for the obvi reasons.
Have a great week y’all and enjoy the weekend!!! We won’t be shoveling snow…thank you, JESUS…but will be wearing jeans and hoodies this weekend here in Central FLA. Brrr. High of 50ish tomorrow. Yikes!! 😉